Manila—(PHStocks)—Philippine stocks suffered a beating Tuesday, 27 August, as investor unload their shares amid bearish outlook in global markets.
The benchmark Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) dropped by 3.96% or 244.22 points to close the day’s trading at 5,916.99, weighed down by investors’ uncertainty over the continuing guessing game on whether or not the US Federal Reserve will start tapering its QE program next month.
The “pork” barrel (Priority Development Assistance Fund of PDAF) issue is another factor being pointed out as among the reasons the local stock market tanked today. The unrest in Syria likewise added fuel to the fire that drove today’s sell-off.
According to PSE data, value turnover reached PhP9.23 billion on 1.89 billion traded shares. Foreign selling reached PhP6.34 billion versus buying of only PhP3.88 billion.
On a sectoral basis, all counters are back in the red. The biggest loser is the Property sector, which declined by 4.93%, followed by the Holding Firms segment, which slid by 4.71%. The wider All Shares index declined by 3.59%.
Today’s most active stocks include SM Investments Corp. (SM, PhP685.00, -6.16%), Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company (MBT, PhP102.90, -1.91%), Ayala Land Inc. (ALI, PhP25.60, -6.74%), Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (TEL, PhP2,824.00, -3.95%), Alliance Global Group Inc. (AGI, PhP24.65, -2.95%), BDO Unibank Inc. (BDO, PhP72.00, -5.88%), Universal Robina Corporation (URC, PhP114.00, -2.73%), Ayala Corp. (AC, PhP518.00, -7.17%), Metro Pacific Investments Corporation (MPI, PhP4.86, -0.82%), and International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICT, PhP89.70, -3.29%).
- Liberty Flour Mills Inc. (PSE: LFM): PhP55.50, 8.82%
- Island Information and Technology Inc. (PSE: IS): PhP0.05, 8.7%
- Pancake House Inc. (PSE: PCKH): PhP12.66, 5.5%
- DFNN Inc. (PSE: DFNN): PhP4.44, 5.21%
- Benguet Corp. “B” (PSE: BCB): PhP9.10, 4.6%
- Acesite (Philippines) Hotel Corporation (PSE: ACE): PhP1.25, 3.31%
- Keppel Philippine Holdings Inc. “A” (PSE: KPH): PhP4.95, 2.06%
- Philippine Savings Bank (PSE: PSB): PhP125.50, 1.95%
- Southeast Asia Cement Holdings Inc. (PSE: CMT): PhP1.07, 1.9%
- Premiere Horizon Alliance Corp. (PSE: PHA): PhP0.28, 1.82%
- IP E-Game Ventures Inc. (PSE: EG): PhP0.015, -11.76%
- Melco Crown (Philippines) Resorts Corp. (PSE: MCP): PhP8.27, -10.01%
- House of Investments Inc. (PSE: HI): PhP6.30, -9.48%
- Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company “A” (PSE: LC): PhP0.52, -8.77%
- ABS-CBN Holdings Corporation – Phil. Deposit Receipts (PSE: ABSP): PhP31.50, -8.7%
- Asia United Bank Corp. (PSE: AUB): PhP63.00, -8.7%
- Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company “B” (PSE: LCB): PhP0.54, -8.47%
- Bogo Medellin Milling Company Inc. (PSE: BMM): PhP52.50, -7.89%
- Filinvest Land Inc. (PSE: FLI): PhP1.53, -7.83%
- Basic Energy Corp. (PSE: BSC): PhP0.245, -7.55%